After partition of Pakistan
and India, with the division of Bengal province, the East Pakistan section was left
with over 40% of the World's Jute crop. In 1949 the Adamjees planned & setup
a large Jute Factory with a capacity of 3,000 Looms to consume this massive crop
production. This was to be the largest Jute mill of its kind in the world employing
over 25,000 workers. To
house these workers, a massive housing complex was established
which later became known as "Adamjee Nagar".
The Jute products produced
in this mill was exported to over 50 Countries, thus earning a significant amount
of Foreign Exchange for the country. This company eventually became the Flagship
Company of the Group and a Land mark for Pakistan's Industrial Development. It was
nationalized in 1971 with the formation of Bangladesh. Today it exists under the
same name and is managed by Bangladesh Jute Mills Corporation, Government of Bangladesh.